Monday 18 July 2011

Over here

About a month ago, I blogged about this Atlantic article by Alexis Madrigal on the New York Public Library, and especially this extract.

I'm going to give you the conclusion to this article here to solve the tl;dr problem. There are two things the library has done to create such cool projects. First, I'm convinced the NYPL is succeeding online because of desire. The library's employees give a shit about the digital aspects of their institution, and they are supported in that shit giving. I mean this in the most fundamental way possible and as a damning critique for media companies. Second, the library sees its users as collaborators in improving the collections the library already has. While serving them online costs the library some money, they are creating value, too, by opening up conduits into the library for superusers.

So you can imagine I'm super-excited to say that Michael Lascerides, Senior Manager for Web Initiatives at NYPL, has just been announced as the second keynote speaker for this year's National Digital Forum conference in Wellington.

Michael joins Mitchell Whitelaw, whose work I've also blogged about. I'm know I'm being partisan as hell right now, but I can't wait for November.

No comments: