Colleen Dilenschneider's 8 Top Tips for Museums and Non-Profits to Engage Millenials in 2012, based on Tina Well's Top 10 Gen Y Trends for 2012:
- Sell admission by emphasising the good that your institution does
- Tell people what's special and immediate about the experience you're offering
- I refuse to type in this made-up term; you're going to have to click through for that one
- Blah blah technology blah blah (I'm a bit dubious that point 2 and point 4 work together, unless you make technology the point, and that's shortsighted)
- "Curators are no longer the celebrity rockstars of the museum world… the visitors now hold that title." Awww, bless. I hope someone told the curators about their rockstar status in 2011, when they could still enjoy it.
- Take people behind the scenes - non-generationally specific good advice
- Get your stuff online - help people use it (this I can wholeheartedly agree with)
- Engage at a personal level to get donations, and make it easy to donate online
Overall, I'm not taken by either of these posts. But I often find it's the stuff that annoys me that I need to pay more attention to.