People often gripe that at any time, a museum or gallery will only have 5-10% of its collection out on display.
The Powerhouse Museum in Sydney has made a move to improve this statistic, opening its Castle Hill storage and preservation centre up to the public, not just for a special event, but on a permanent basis. They've set up a new website to profile the venture:
Powerhouse Discovery Centre website
The Castle Hill centre houses 40% of the Powerhouse's collections (by volume), or about 50,000 objects. Sadly, you can't just roll up and visit - access is somewhat mediated via:
- monthly public open days
- quarterly community field days
- themed supervised tours into stores on site
- educational programs and workshops, tours for school groups and special-interest groups school holiday programs
- community engagement programs
- regional partnership events
- specialist/industry and professional development programs.
Image from the Powerhouse Discovery Centre website