- He served as New Zealand's Premier four times.
- In an 1850 publication, he described Auckland as 'altogether rotten, delusive, and Algerine'.
- He is widely credited for ensuring New Plymouth became a separate province, rather than part of Auckland.
- He predicted that Wanganui would ultimately become identified with Wellington.
- Aged 80, he climbed Mount Taranaki, to demonstrate the benefits of a temperate lifestyle.
Image: William Fox, Bird's eye view of Waitoi [Waitohi], 1848. Alexander Turnbull Library. Reference number: C-013-001. Image from the Timeframes website.