It is recommended that the Council:In other reading manners: a review by Adam Stenbergh of David Denby's Snark: It’s Mean, It’s Personal, and It’s Ruining Our Conversation.
(a) Not proceed with charging admission for non residents (Option 1) to the gallery owing to:
- Adverse impact on international/national reputation, visitor perception and experience
- Adverse impact on visitor numbers after introducing entry charges (based on international/national experience)
- Long term viability of the gallery threatened (inability to attract major exhibitions owing to visitor numbers)
- Financial disadvantage from introducing entry charges
- Adverse local and tourist market reaction.
Tuesday 6 January 2009
For your reading pleasure
Relating to yesterday's post, a reader sent in a link to this 2005 report on entry charges for non-residents by the Christchurch Art Gallery (PDF). The Council asked the Gallery to prepare a report reviewing current charging practices against national and international trends, and examine the possibility of introducing entry charges. From the report: