Monday 29 October 2012

New beginnings

Today is my first day as Director of the Dowse Art Museum. Soon I will get into my car for the first work commute of my adult life. I have my (slightly illicitly gained) National Library souvenir to take with me to my new office, and my Day One motorway playlist:

  • Jungle Fever - Angel Haze ft. Kool A.D.
  • Rella - Odd Future ft. Hodgy Beats, Domo Genesis & Tyler, The Creator
  • Swimming Pools (Drank) - Kendrick Lamar
  • Super Rich Kids - Frank Ocean ft. Earl Sweatshirt
  • Wetsuit - The Vaccines
  • I Love It - Icona Pop

I can't describe how much I am looking forward to re-immersing myself in the art world. But I will also miss my current world terribly (perhaps I should switch the tagline of this blog to One foot in the web world). I'll miss the people, the energy, the aspirations, the belief, the optimism, the honesty, the giving and sharing, the unending push to do better, faster, smoother, more delightfully. I will miss the reckless joy and good sense and occasional snark. And oh - oh, I will miss the language. I have spent the last six or seven years swimming in a vast ocean of words and concepts: sometimes I caught a wave, sometimes they swept over my head, occasionally I got dumped on the shore of confusion and muddle. As I thought about this over the last few weeks I started collecting words and phrases, which I have compiled here: Goodbye to all that.

And hello to all this.

No comments: