Tuesday 3 July 2012

Comings and goings


This is the final week of the 'Dark Sky' exhibition at the Adam Art Gallery. After seeing the show to talk about it on the radio (you can listen below, if you like, and hear me race through a history of attempts to record and understand the Transit of Venus, as well as a description of the show) I've been back again, and found it definitely repays a second and third visit.

I also highly recommend Geoffrey Batchen's accompanying catalogue: the essay has the warmth and personal insight that I wanted the show to communicate more clearly to visitors. In fact, it's one of the most enjoyable art texts I've read in a long time.
 


And opening this weekend at the Dowse in Lower Hutt is Ronnie Van Hout's 'I've Seen Things', a solo show with the artist's usual ranging across of personal, pop-cultural and historical allusions; this time, Blade Runner and Canterbury's The Full Gospel Mission. I can't wait.


Image 
Thomas Ruff, STE 1.19 (02h 48m / -35ยบ), 1992. Chromogenic colour photograph in wooden frame 2600 x 1800 mm. Courtesy of the artist and Gow Langsford Gallery, Auckland.

No comments: